Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Where do the layers end?

Here, due to an Series of Unfortunate Events [unlike Limerick's, hopefully with a happy ending], two weeks worth of Magical Alextricity Blog-Stuffs will be correlated here to produce a mashed fussion of eccentricity and, well, New Communication Technology learnings.

It was our great pleasure to [endure isn't the right word]....umm, be enlightened by our guest lecturer this week who above all informed us of the changing nature of digital creativity - particularly that exhibitioned on the internet. Against previous strains to produce a clean, simple and accessible format for both art and layouts on the internet, a 'New Wave' movements of sort is remodelling the notion of digital art to be as unconventional and original as possible. In an information overload age where everyone has a finger in the pot, standing out from the crowd is no longer shameful - it's imperative! A sample of the speakers work revealed some kooky insights such as the 'This is How You Will Die' gambling machine - not for the easily-spooked, I assure you. Honestly, I found them brilliantly original although the construct of many of the designs made me dizzy and were reminiscent of mind control. Perhaps his aim was to exaggerate the subliminal messages present in all things today- invisibly working at our unconcious, wow! For now, I shall have to think of ways to make my stick figures more 'unconventional', considering my artistic skills are somewhat limited. [A modern spin on this lack, I've found, is to be in possession competent in randoming - bringing to mind random ideas and converging them where necessary - that I love!

The internet has provided increased global interaction [although not unanimously] and in doing such, it has opened the flood gates to the creativity of human expression for Joe Citizen. Accustomed to the speed and effectiveness of email, it seems to have become the new snail mail, its alternative instant messagers, providing written conversation. Now further evolved to allow actual conversation over microphones or video conversations through webcams, the possibilities are endless. Untested by myself prior to this class, virtual realities have met increasing popularity, particularly with youth - some friends siblings I've seen quite literally addicted to such entertainment - defensive too!


For this critique, I submersed myself into ActiveWorlds and Habbo Hotel. Despite my countless efforts to get it up and running, my application of ActiveWorlds had difficulty loading fully. Habbo Hotel I found to be a mini-reality of lego-like characters though I must point out here that the combined population of young children and paedophiles on the program were sickeningly alarming! For the most part the 'people' there were relatively friendly until 'someone' walked up and made suggestive offers or requests - not exactly my cup of tea! One thing that I found particularly interesting was that it censored words such as 'myspace', 'msn' as well as cursing of any kind.

No comments: